Friday, February 12, 2010

Tao Te Ching Chapter 24-5 Bragging man


Today's Tao

A bragging man is not successful. (Ch.24)


"Master Bonbon, have you reached Satori?"

"Of course, yes. That's why I am a master."

"Master Bonbon, tell me what's wrong with me. I haven't reached Satori yet."

"Meditate for 60 years first. Then, I can show you the secret."


Don't brag.

Don't say you are successful.

Remember «Ji mi toku do, sen do ta 自未得度先度他».

It means:

"Though you haven't crossed it yet, let others cross it first".


Naoto Matsumoto adds:

When you are lost and confused, this Zen expression is a powerful spiritual tool to help you.

Say it to yourself, and you will remember that you are already in the state of Satori.

«Caution!»
Master Dogen asks you not to expect to be a Buddha because of «Ji mi toku do, sen do ta». (Hotsubodaishin 発菩提心, «Shobogenzo»)


«Related Articles»
-Tiptoeing 24-1
-Striding 24-2
-Express nothing 24-3
-True righteousness 24-4
-Bragging man 24-5
-Boasting man 24-6
-Excessive food 24-7
-Frustration 24-8
-After Satori 24-9
-Tao by Matsumoto / Tao Te Ching / Chapter 24


Tao answers your question!



Previous video / Ch.24 text / Next video


-Some people say that Yasunari Kawabata's novels are like picture cards. Other people say that those of Haruki Murakami are like hamburgers. I don't know if they are criticizing or praising them because I personally find it very nice to receive a picture card from a friend on vacation and I do enjoy hamburgers especially when I need a soul food. Well, «Koto, the old capital» of Kawabata has beautiful images of Kyoto. It is a nice read when you travel to Japan.

No comments: